How to Safely Transport Grapes Via The Freight Industry?
Today, we all need fresh fruits and vegetables from every part of the world, no matter where we live. Earlier, while bringing produce from one country to another was challenging, today, it has become an easy and viable option because of the freight industry.
According to Wikipedia, moving cargo, merchandise and commodities is called freight transport, sometimes freight forwarding. Originally used to describe transportation by sea, the term "shipping" has come also to include transportation by land or air (International English: "carriage").
When transporting grapes, one needs to follow specific guidelines as grapes are a perishable fruit that can be easily damaged if not taken care of.
Let us briefly understand how we can ship grapes via freight transportation.
What is Grape Shipping?
Grape shipping or grape cartage is getting fresh grapes from vineyards to wholesalers or stores. Because grapes are a highly perishable fruit, proper handling and storage are necessary to preserve their quality and freshness while in transit.
Usually, grape shipping starts after the grapes are harvested from the vineyard. The grapes are separated and placed into cardboard boxes or wooden crates during transit to preserve them. After that, the containers are put into cargo or vehicles for delivery.
Today, many companies transport goods, including fresh fruits and vegetables. However, there are many challenges that the companies have to face when transporting such perishable goods as they only have a little longer life.
Here is the list of the challenges these companies have to face such as:
- Perishability: Fruits and vegetables should be transported and stored properly to preserve their flavor and nutrients. If they are not, they may even get spoiled and cause illness.
- Weather Issues: Natural catastrophes can ruin crops and cause delivery delays, which affects the quantity and quality of fresh products available.
- Communication Issues: Producers and purchasers need to communicate effectively to ensure that goods are transported and stored correctly.
- Lack of Visibility: It might be hard to track produce shipments in real time, which can make it harder to see possible issues and take appropriate action.
- Food Safety Issues: Inadequate handling during shipping and storage may give rise to hazardous bacterial development.
- Environmental Impact: Because of the emissions from trucks and other vehicles, the transportation of produce may hurt the environment.
Since there are many challenges that both dealers and customers have to face, you need to pick the right freight transport company that will make things easy for you.
Let's dive into how grapes can be transported safely via the freight industry.
How to Make the Best Use of Earle’s Transport to Transport Grapes?
Because grapes are a delicate fruit, they must be handled and transported safely to guarantee they reach their destination fresh and delectable. Produce, particularly grapes, is the area of expertise for the freight sector company.
Here are some tips for moving grapes safely with them:
- Select the Ideal Time to Harvest Grapes: When grapes are ripe yet still complex, they should be harvested. Ripe grapes smell pleasant and have a deep hue. Too-late harvesting produces soft, mushy grapes, while too-early harvesting produces sour, undeveloped grapes.
- Gently Package the Grapes: Pack the grapes into a strong container so they are in a single layer. The container needs to have ventilation openings to facilitate airflow. Avoid packing grapes too tightly as this can crush them and make them rot.
- Pre-cool the Grapes: Grapes should be pre-cooled to a temperature of 32–34 degrees Fahrenheit before being sent. This will lengthen the shelf life and aid in slowing down the ripening process.
- Select the Appropriate Shipping Option: Grapes can be shipped in several ways with Earle’s Transport, including chilled transportation, air freight, and ocean freight. Your grapes' optimal shipping option will depend on how far they need to go and how much time you have.
- Track Your Shipment: All shipments are tracked in real-time, so you may always be aware of the whereabouts of your grapes. This enables you to spot any possible issues early on and take appropriate action.
So now you know how grapes are carried, what question does it lead to? Hire Earle’s Transport, your logistics partner, to help you with your upcoming shipment and get it out of the vineyard. For further details, give us a call.