How Do You Ensure the Safety of Livestock during Transportation?
Transporting livestock from one location to another is a challenging task because, unlike other types of transit, this transportation requires a lot of precautions. If you don't pay attention to the safety of animals, then their health will be adversely affected.
The animals are prone to getting stressed during transport as they are exposed to an unfamiliar environment. The stress can cause panic in them, which can cause havoc within the vehicle. The chaotic situation can further increase the chance of injury among animals.
You can avoid stress amongst livestock by planning and implementing actions that support smooth transportation. Inducing a calm environment is not difficult; you just need to take appropriate measures.
If you want to know how to maximise the safety of livestock during transportation, keep on reading further.
How Do You Keep Animals Calm During Different Stages of Transportation?
The animals can get anxious during the journey, but handling them with patience can reduce their stress. Let us see how you can what you need to take during different stages of hauling:
Stage 1: Preparing Livestock
The process of locating animals from one place to another starts by preparing them before the journey. During the first stage, you can apply the following tips:
- Make sure to check on the health status of every animal. Refrain from putting sick animals in the vehicle.
- Get the animals comfortable with the fact that you will be placing them in an unfamiliar environment. You can do this by keeping them in a different place the night before transporting them.
- Feed and hydrate animals properly before you allocate them in the trailer.
Stage 2: Loading the Livestock
The loading process of animals should not be done with haste. The animals might feel resistant while going in the trailer, but you can handle it well with the following points:
- You can hire an expert to handle the livestock during the loading. Only a professional can swiftly take care of any difficult situation.
- Clean the trailer and, if possible, lay bedding to maximise the comfort of the animals.
- Check out for any protruding nails which could injure the animal. The trailer should be devoid of any harmful objects.
- The animals should not be forced inside the trailer. Try to be patient while handling livestock.
- You can use equipment like a ramp to load the animal more smoothly.
- The weight distribution of the livestock should be even. An even weight makes it easy for a driver to handle the vehicle on the road.
- Keeping some food and water inside the trailer will be helpful during the journey.
Stage 3: Transportation
The animals have to stay in one place for a long duration during transit, which makes it necessary for you to ensure that the journey is smooth. Here are some pointers that will help you ensure that the livestock remains safe and stress-free during the Livestock Transport:
- The driver should opt for a more direct route, which speeds up the journey.
- During a long journey, taking required breaks in between the transport gives animals time to stretch. Also, taking breaks is necessary for the driver to keep a fresh mind.
- The driver should monitor the behaviour of animals from time to time.
- The speed should not be too fast as rash driving can put the animals in danger.
Stage 4: Unloading the Livestock
Staying at the same place for a long time will make animals exhausted. So, it is evident that it might be a little difficult to handle the livestock during unloading. A calm atmosphere will keep the animals anxious, thus making it easy to move them out of the trailer. Here are some ways you can create a stress-free atmosphere for the livestock:
- Remove any unrequired personnel from the site where animals would be unloaded.
- The process of unloading should be taken into action only when the vehicle is parked in a stable position.
- The workers should be patient and quiet while moving the livestock to the location.
- Feeding and hydrating animals is a must for ensuring that their health remains in good condition.
Taking precautions and following safety protocols during transportation will keep the animals in good mental and physical health. If you find it difficult to handle the temper of animals or don't have enough time, then don't worry. You can contact Earle's Transport to avail yourself of the best transportation solutions. So contact the experts to get the best animal transport, General Freight and hay carrier services.